Thursday, July 28, 2011

Another Bloom for my Garden

First of all i would like to thank those of you who left comments on my first post. Its a new experience for me to share in this way and it is encouraging to receive such feedback. I am sorry that i didn't tick the box that would allow me to reply to each of you.
This is my third Block for the flower Garden Quilt and there is a fourth one almost completed.
I'm not sure what part of the process i enjoy most, choosing the fabrics and allowing myself to be a little "out there" or the actual needle turn applique.
Back-basted needle-turn is a new technique for me and i just love how easily the fabric roll's over. Much of the ease i am sure is due to the fabulous organic nature of Kim Mc Leans design, but in using the back-basted method the fabric seems to have a memory of where the basting stitches were and roll over with just a little encouragement. I am still finding concave curves a bit of a challenge, and as there are lots of them I need to get better at them.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Sheila, This is a stunner. Upon magnifying your blocks I still cant discern your stitches...... they are so invisible. Love the stem fabric. I find backbasting really tricky if trying to capture a fussy cut motif at the same time. Your use of the word "Organic" is so apt. Looking forward to seeing your future blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous block Sheila, love your fussy cutting, you'll get used to the curves, sweep the needle when turning the curves. well done, keep it up and love to see more blocks! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous block Sheila, love your fussy cutting, you'll get used to the curves, sweep the needle when turning the curves. well done, keep it up and love to see more blocks! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Salley and Kim for you generous comments. I have several projects on the go at the moment (who hasn't) but i get so much pleasure from every stage of these blocks,

    ReplyDelete