Wednesday, November 23, 2011

two I'd almost forgotten


I was looking through my blocks and realised i hadn't posted these two blocks that were finished a while ago.
I had been anxious about doing the first one as i was unsure how to end the bias fronds. I found if i allowed about 3/8 inch to turn under at the tips and interlocked them with the opposite frond at the stem they looked OK. I did use fabric glue to hold them in-place while i stitched. It made the stems quite stiff in placesbut it came out completely, once finished, after a long soak.
I couldn't resist using the "target" fabric for the second block as the design was the perfect size for the pattern,
I still have two blocks to post, one is completed and the other partially done,but i began joining all the blocks together in strips, but i will leave that picture for later.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Getting Close




To the last of the centre blocks , that is. There are now only two more to go.
The first of the blocks above is the one i had to repeat due to my trimming the first one back too far. ( That one is on the way to becoming a gorgeous cushion. ) I love the pink and orange chrysanthemum fabric i have used in both flowers. Like its blue/ green/mauve version used in earlier blocks it has been very useful , due to the size of the flowers. Have to be careful not to use too much and in the same way.
Like Pip i am beginning to think about the borders. I'm not sure i have anything suitable for the water fountain.. might try the rainbow Lily that was so good in the reverse applique's, I don't think i can go too light or it may get lost on my grey spotted background.
'til next time, happy stitching Sheila

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tiny circles

I spent part of today tracing off the bottom border and then making tiny circles for "water" in the fountain that is the centre of the border, I think there are about 30 of them. I was looking through my stash to see if I had anything suitable for the "water" and found this fabric (below) which looks as if it might suit.


I'm using Perfect Circles from Karen Kay Buckley to make my circles, although some of these aren't perfect circles.  The first ones I made had a little too much fabric to gather, so a lesson learnt.  I'm also sewing the running stitch while the fabric is in one piece and then cutting the circles out, much easier than fiddling with tiny bits of fabric.


Thursday, November 3, 2011

Finally

I've finished another block, I had finished one leaf on this block and came to a crashing halt, (being side-tracked with other projects didn't help either) but I knuckled down over the last few days and got it done. I auditioned various fabrics for the calyx, but they all looked wrong until I tried some of the leaf fabric and then it came alive, so to speak, the addition of the sashing just completed it.


Once the sashing was on I was able to put together all the blocks in one row, it's quite long now and hard to photograph easily.  Seeing it like this has given me a bit more incentive to keep going and get another row done.