Sunday, January 29, 2012

Extending the garden

Two rows completed now, this time I made sure to measure everything properly, to make it easier in future I now have a little chart written out so I know the exact size to trim each block to (including the seam allowance)


This is me selecting fabrics for a block, pile everything on the floor, sit in the empty space and then pick a couple of pieces and go from there, sometimes the fabric selection comes easily, other times I obsess too long over different fabrics and find myself going back to my first selection, perhaps there is a lesson there.


I made the bias for the leaves in the middle block using this tutorial on LuAnn's blog  all up it took me about 20 minutes which included running it through the bias tape maker.  A 12" square of fabric gave me plenty of 1/4" wide bias, and I trimmed off all the bulky seam allowance bits.


Seeing the second row completed has given me the incentive to keep going, I have prepped three more blocks and have even selected a couple of fabrics for the bottom border, as I know Sheila has been making inroads into her bottom border.

7 comments:

  1. Aahh.. the mountain on the floor, approach.
    Always works!...'til the cat arrives.
    Your borders look gorgeous...really completes The Garden. It is very lively looking Pip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making wonderful progress Pip, and it looks great.I was still plodding along with my lollies... until my left index finger got a big crack in it,and layers of skin peeled off! This is the first major applique project I have attempted...nobody told me I had to protect that finger from all the needle pricks,so now I am in Healing time. Have been cutting and machining all the sashing squares

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pip - your blocks are so beautiful and your progress on this quilt so far is wonderful!
    I think your "floor pile" approach to choosing fabrics is very interesting. Another little tidbit I may have to try someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Yvonne, this is my first major applique project as well, although I don't think I'm working on mine as consistently as you are on your Lollipops.

    I don't seem to have had the sore finger stage yet, probably just luck as I don't use a thimble, they feel funny to me, although I do get sore hands when I do too much hand work so I take a break then, which may be what is saving my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so loving this quilt! It's way beyond my skill right now, but I'm putting it down as one of my goals. Thanks for keeping us all posted on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Donna, I don't really enjoy the fiddly applique but the flowers on this quilt have nice sweeping curves and they are large pieces so it makes the applique a lot more achievable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the first two rows are looking terrific. Your floor method appears to be working as it looks appears well balanced. I am enjoying the border (the top) as there is so much variety. Should post a partial pic soon, its going to take a while to complete.

    ReplyDelete