Friday, August 10, 2012

Whoop whoop!

I can't believe it, but i have just finished my Flower Garden  Quilt top.  Not a quilt yet.... that will be another episode.

 This glorious quilt has taken  sewing several hours a night for 13 months, in addition to many, many hours of daytime prepping. I can honestly say i enjoyed every single moment.

Before beginning this quilt i had never done any needleturn applique. With Pip, i did a bit of research and decided on the Back-basted method. It seemed to be the most efficient, economical and forgiving of the methods i looked at. The Kaffe Fasset fabrics were a dream to use as they turned under with ease.
The angst of quilting it will be the next challenge.
Do i need to ditch stitch all the sashing?
Will i quilt an outline around all of the applique?
Do i attempt McTavishing  or just a meander in the blocks.

I am not a very experienced Free motion quilter and would love to send it out to be custom quilted, but a) i don't know a custom quilter and b) i think the cost would be prohibitive. any suggestions would be welcome.

I have pinned it to the curtains in my family room and think i will just enjoy it there for a while.

I would like to thank Kim for her fabulous pattern, Pip, for encouraging me to "give it a go" and the readers and followers of this blog, for all the supportive comments on this journey.  (sorry if that sounds like an Oscars speech)


Now do you think i should allow myself to get the "Pandemonium " pattern?

14 comments:

  1. applause, clapping and cheering,

    it's absolutely wonderful Sheila, I'm green with envy. Must sat I am now extremely motivated to get going on my FG quilt now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt top is AMAZING!
    Incredible that this is your first needle-turn applique' quilt!
    You should be very proud of yourself - Hip Hooray!

    YES...you deserve Pandemonium!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is just outstanding. I am working on the left border of mine and seeing yours makes me want to move a little faster. Great job with the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely! Must make a start on mine:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You Deserve an Oscar!! Well done Its fabulous and so impressed it was your 1st needle-turn. Good luck on the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Sheila!!! Your quilt is a dream, well worth the 13 months of working on it. Just love it! I'm glad that you enjoyed working on it, especially that you haven't done needle turn before, well done!
    I think you should do the Pandemonium now, it is a fun quilt to do and you won't get bored as there are a lot of different things in it. We'll be cheering you on from the sides, don't forget to post a lot of pics! K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheila... This IS Fantastic! It is so fabulous in all its glory your colours are glorious and values so evenly spread. Congratulations! I have loved watching your Flower Garden grow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should be very proud, and the Oscar goes to....

    It is a fabulous pattern, your fabric selection is perfect, it sure was worth the time you put into it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Sheila....what a wonderful feeling of achievement. You definitely deserve to start Pandemonium

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work! needle turn, you deserve an award, now do pandemonium, you will love it too, so full of whimsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it is gorgeous! I love your blocks and the quilt top is a dream. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely! Yes you should get the Pandenoium to do. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete