Thursday, October 10, 2013

Nearly done ...

It's been a long time since I (or anyone) last posted, I have been quilting away madly on my Flower Garden and I am pleased to say that the quilting is almost completed.

 It took me ages to decide how to quilt this, I don't have much free motion quilting experience so it was easier for me to do a sort of flowery stipple/meander over the background fabric.  I used Wonderfil Decobob for the top thread and The Bottom Line by Superior Threads for the bobbin, both are quite fine so any thread buildup wasn't too noticeable.


 After reading this blog post on Sandra Leichner's blog I thought that her method might work with this quilt, even though there are a lot of large appliqued pieces in this quilt,  and it has worked quite well although some of the larger pieces have a bit of "bagginess" in them.  If I were to do this again I would put an extra layer of batting under the larger shapes so I could do some cutaway trapunto, that would take care of the bagginess I think.


The binding is on but still needs stitching to the back, I do a little bit on that at the end of each day.  I'm currently doing all the outline stitching around each applique piece, I have 16 days left before the quilt must be finished for our guild quilt show.


2 comments:

  1. Crikey... That is look gorgeous...your colour and fabric choices are "Magic". ...nearly there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great progress Pip, your applique is really standing out beautifully. Your choice of binding just pops, love it

    ReplyDelete