Sunday, November 10, 2013

Well, color me surprised ...

The last four days I have been at the Festival of Quilts in South Australia.  Tuesday afternoon I received a phone call telling me that I had won an award for my Flower Garden quilt that I had entered. Needless to say I was very excited and couldn't wait until Thursday night for Guild meeting, I went to the show on Thursday to visit with my quilt and see exactly where I was placed in the Predominantly Applique section.


I was lucky enough to get a red ribbon for second place, it was uncanny that thel three quilts that ribboned all had Garden in their quilt names and the first placed quilt also used Kaffe Fassett fabrics.

The quilting turned out better that I could have hoped even though it was a long job.  If I were to quilt an applique quilt again, I think I would take the extra step of doing a trapunto layer of batting, stitch around it  clip/trim it all back then put another layer of batting on and then quilt, I think that would take care of the baggin on the larger pieces.  The other extra step I could have done, would have been to block it, but a quilt this large requires a good sized area to block it on and time to dry as well.  I had the area but didn't really have the time, maybe next time.

My prize for second place was nice package of Karen Kay Buckley products, some of which I currently use but these ones will have special meaning for me when I use them in the future.

I have to thank Sheila for pushing me along on this quilt, I don't think I would have finished it otherwise :) and I would also like to thank Kim for designing such a lovely quilt, it had many lovely comments at the show, and also thanks to everyone who comments on the blog, it really makes a difference, knowing that others are following the progress.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations Pip! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still cheering, I am so very proud of your perseverance, especially with the the quilting. Your quilt is beautiful. Enjoy those fabulous KKB products... might need to do more appliqué :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a joy to see your lovely FG with its ribbon. Gorgeous quilt Pip. Congratulations, after such hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! Absolutely gorgeous, beautiful, amazing quilt!! Well done!!

    Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Your quilt is gorgeous.
    I have started the last border on my FG. The bottom one that seems to have more pieces.
    Thanks for your suggestions on finishing it. I will keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!
    I saw this one growing, I like it so much and I am pleased I was right saying it will be a winner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, it took a while to finish this quilt but it was well worth the effort. Pip

      Delete
  7. It is gorgeous!! Very well deserved ribbon. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Pip!!! Well done and well deserved for having done such a wow job. I love the quilt heaps. It was a big job doing the applique and the quilting but now its an heirloom piece. What next Pip?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Can't believe I missed this! Very well done Pip! Maybe next year will be my year to finish mine. Once Mrs Billings has done her dash! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt, what a beautiful work, this is an art quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Ale :)

      Delete
  11. I absolutely love your quilt. It Is beautiful! I have one block of another quilt to complete and then plan on starting Lollipops. Any suggestions Need to do research how to do these beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete