Could this week get any better??
Last Tuesday i received a phone call ( home alone in a power blackout) The voice on the phone told me i had won a prize in the South Aust Festival of Quilts... she would not, or could not, tell me what it was or for which quilt. ( I had entered both my Flower Garden quilt and my Farmers Wife quilt.
Oh the excitement that built until guild meeting on Thursday evening.
Because i had entered in the amateur sections i did not have too long to wait to be have it announced that i had been placed third in the amateur applique category for the Flower Garden quilt. I duly collected my prize and was congratulated by supportive friends, Pip included. I was pretty stoked.
I then settled down to watch and listen to a long list of worthy winners. Then came the "special " awards , Best in show.. runner up, best use of colour etc... and then i heard the name of my quilt called out "Kaffe and Kim and Me", i didn't hear what it was for, ( I think i was chatting to Pip... my bad) but I staggered from my seat to the stage to see that i was to be given a Bernina Sewing Machine ( 215) It was the Bernina Encouragement award.. To say i was shocked would be an understatment. The rest of the evening was a bit of a blur.
When i went to the show on Friday to visit my quilt ( and all the other fabulous works) i found there were 3 gorgeous ribbon rosettes adorning it. The third i didn't know about is is apparently the guild encouragement award. I couldn't wipe the grin from my face all day or for the rest of the weekend. People i had never met were congratulating me and wanting to chat. I also got a fair bit of teasing as some people knew how nervous i was about entering a competition and being judged.
Today i met one of the judges , Julie Adamson from Melbourne, and she was so lovely and generous enough to give me a critique of my quilt.. Some very useful advice for future attempts. she could tell i hadn't cut the sashing pieces individually , whoops! Kim said to but i thought it would be OK to strip piece. The other piece of advice was when ditch stitching around the motifs , not to get too close. Keep it just a few threads away. then the applique "puffs" a little better. I could also have done a little more quilting in some more of the flower sections. some were apparently just a little too "puffy" and with hanging were beginning to sag a little.